Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Warung Babi Guling Bu Dayu - The Suckling Pig Dish in Kuta @ Bali [Indonesia]

Babi Guling - the two-worded dish synonymous with Bali and one that I specifically sought for on my recent trip. Many had spoken of the epic one at Ubud but as fate had its way of toying with the human's heart; I didn't manage to step into the local market at Ubud. 

There's no way I am going to return to Singapore without a taste of the Balinese dish and a search on google map revealed a few stalls located within a 20-minute walking distance from Grand Istana Rama hotel

The closest, Men Gede, was already closed and we had no other choice but to walk another 13 minutes to Warung Babi Guling Bu Dayu along Jalan Raya Kuta.

Don't you just love technology? The direction given was pretty straight forward and we managed to find the eatery in no time. Nevertheless, do note that the directions may not always be accurate, as I experienced on my last night in Bali.

The whole place was filled with hungry diners! Now, Warung Babi Guling Bu Dayu is your typical non-air-conditioned street stall by the roadside and this can be off-putting for people who tend to feel that food served in such environment is less hygienic. 

Some of our travel mates decided to find an alternative venue for dinner and I was keen to join them as my stomach tends to be weaker outside of Singapore! However, the stubborn ass in me said I die-die must have my babi guling!

Faced with the language barrier, the five of us were limited in our food choices and the easiest for us was to point at the top picture with the words "nasi babi guling". Coming from Singapore, I am fully aware that nasi equates rice. 

Like mixed vegetable rice, I can help myself by pointing to the dish I prefer to have. Not exactly an advantage as I am more for the authentic experience and having a "ready" option would likely be more beneficial for a tourist. 

Seats were found (we had to separate into two tables) and a bowl of soup was given; I quite enjoyed it for its appetizing spiciness that made me hungrier for this super late dinner at almost 9 pm. 

Serving was not much even though there were quite a number of ingredients; some of which I didn't know the name of. I can tick off a few; the piece of crispy pork skin and the stick of pork satay.

To be honest, the babi guling (roasted pork skin) was just a small piece and though cackling crispy, it just couldn't be compared to our local Singapore-style suckling pig which had a sweeter marination. Satay was also not the fatty, juicy type we have and aside from using tougher, lean meat, it was also hell spicy! 

I was way more impressed with this braised pork-belly lookalike which was damn tender. Nevertheless, you must mix everything up in order to appreciate the myriad flavors that came with each spoonful into your mouth. 

A pity that a few in our group didn't take very kindly to spicy food; Alex being one of them and they totally gave up when the spiciness kicked in fast and hard! I would have loved to take over; if not for the fact that I am way over my carbohydrate limit! 

Since many things were diced and sliced, I couldn't quite identify what they originally were. There could be offals, which are quite common in Southeast Asia and the pork-belly lookalike stuff I mentioned earlier seemed to be pork trotters! 

And you know the pork skin? It could come from any part of the poor pig on the counter? This was taken after my meal and I was aghast to see the lady chef peeled off the entire face! 

Shocking no less, I was shocked beyond words although I didn't proceed to purge what I ingested. To me, what's done is done; my life has to go on. And I had to admit that in all, it was still a good meal. 

=====

Location
Jalan Raya Kuta No. 5, Kuta, 
Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, 
Indonesia

As above; about 18-minute walk. 

Pricing
Nasi Babi Guling - 35,000 Rupiahs. 


For my short 4 days, 3 nights' itinerary to Bali, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment