Sunday, May 10, 2015

Yee Fung Laksa (怡豐叻沙) @ Gaya Street [Kota Kinabalu]

My penchant for free and easy travel means i usually have to generate a to-do and to-eat list before my trip, compiled from online searches, travel guides and advice from friends. 

Laksa was on my Kota Kinabalu (KK) list and it did seem that Yee Fung, conveniently located along Gaya Street where Jesselton Hotel was, has a much higher hit rate compared to the rest. 

It was a Sunday; given that Gaya Street was popular among locals and tourists for its Sunday Weekend Market (which i would cover in the next few days), do expect a bigger crowd turning up at the non air-conditioned coffee shop. 

There were a few signature dishes and it was obvious from my surrounding that 90% of the customers ordered either the A1 - Yee Fung Laksa or A2 - Yee Fung Ngau Chap. 

No prize on guessing my order; those who have been following this blog should notice i am not into mixed organs or internal organs. My apology to those who are unaware and waiting for my review on kway chap.

Within minutes from ordering, a steaming bowl of Yee Fung Laksa was placed on my table! Squeeze the lime and it would be time to dig in!

In summary, i was quite disappointed; the taste was more curry than laksa with a consistency that was pretty thin. My affection has been for thick, milky gravy kind of consistency. Noodles came from a hybrid version with thickness in between the typical bee hoon and thick bee hoon; i like.

For a much better taste experience, add in the chilli paste! The gravy turned out to be way more delicious after the spicy addition and with beads of sweat rolling down my forehead, the shiokness was undeniable! 

Done! Personally, i would have very much preferred the one in Yishun.

=====

Location
127, Jalan Haji Saman
[Despite the address, you may find another entrance from Gaya Street]

Map
As above

Opening Hours
6.30 am till 6.00 pm (Mon - Fri)
6.30 am till 4.00 pm (Sat, Sun & PH)

Price List 
As above
Yee Fung Laksa - RM 7.00

Additional Information
Those interested in Yee Fung Ngau Chap can check out the photo i took of an elderly couple's order. I usually would not be daring to ask but they happened to share the table i was on. :P 


For the summarised itinerary of my 7 days, 6 nights Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) trip, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment