Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What Lies Underneath the Bandage - Post-Surgery Review for De Quervain's Tendinitis

The troubled hand that sported a pig trotter lookalike bandage a change of dressing two days ago by my family doctor after i realised how dirty it was! 

Anyway, today's my post-surgery review at Khoo Teck Puat hospital and i guess it would be a good time to show everyone the condition of the operation site. 

Are you anticipating it? 

Here it is! No blood, not much redness and generally pretty clean. 

As far as the operation site was concerned, the doctor didn't say too much and merely mentioned another appointment for a final review.

He was actually more worried about the surrounding bruises and advised me to visit the Accident and Emergency department if they spread. 

In the meantime, i have to visit the rehabilitation department for physiotherapy! I am not sure how necessary it is but i do know each visit is going to cost me money! 

*time to tighten the belt and let my fats be the food*

6 comments:

  1. Hope all is well.

    Refrain from eating prawns and squids till it heals. Also refrain from black soy sauce. =)

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your concern!!!

    my mom is in control of my diet for the next few weeks and she has removed all prawns and squids from my meals.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cavin,

    I was doing some research on DeQuervain surgery and stumbled upon your blog..been suffering from it since mid march... 2+months of physiotherapy with no improvement. Orthopedic surgeon suggested surgery..i'm still considering. How's the recovery going?any scarring post surgery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yanie,

      The recovery is great although i have to cut down on repetitive use of my wrists (specifically, i have to stop myself from playing Angry Birds)! Haha.

      The scar has lightened since the surgery a year ago. If you want, add me on facebook and i would send you a picture of it.

      Best,
      Cavin

      Delete
  4. Hi Cavin

    Its been a few years since your surgery, how is it now? bf has the same problem and has been suggested to do a surgery.
    thanks for documenting the process you went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Visithra!

      No problem! Yes, it has been a few years! My wrist is doing great although i occasionally feel a bit of numbing which isn't that bad. I would suggest surgery over injection!

      Delete