Friday, June 15, 2012

My Wrist Surgery for De Quervain's Tendinitis @ Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH)

The big day has finally arrived for the surgical treatment of my wrist!

B35 - the area holding a number of operating theatres in KTPH. I reached fifteen minutes before the appointed time of 1.30pm together with my concerned mother and assumed the surgery would start no later than 2.30pm.

You won't believe it; i waited two hours dressed in a clean sterile surgical attire that was barely sufficient to keep me warm in the insanely cold environment!

Nonetheless, being cheerful is still better than pulling a long face.

No picture for the surgery and despite it being a local anesthesia procedure, i was blocked physically from seeing anything bloody. 

Personally, i would prefer to be under general anesthesia (where you sleep); it was seriously unnerving to hear the surgeons spewing sentences like "be really really careful, that's not the right way, what's that, oh dear, gosh etc etc"!

For those who would like to see what the procedure is really like, please click the above video. Mind you, some scenes can be really eeeeuuwwww. 


The 25-minute surgery was of course a success and i was surprised to find butter sandwiches, milo and a bowl of chicken soup in the rest area afterwards! Always good to have food around!

Wondering how professional the dressing is?

Ta-dah! I could not help comparing it to a pig trotter and i have to keep it on for the next few days! Maybe i can pretend to be Rockman.

It's way cooler to say it is a Mega Blaster arm cannon!

2 comments:

  1. Oh poor you.

    I found your blog while looking for info regarding De Quervain's. My left wrist has been painful for the past month. I hope I won't need surgery and I'm just looking at having steroid shots for the meantime. How was your hand after the surgery? Was your left hand fully functional? Thanks so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo! My left hand is fully functional after the surgery (i could even do push ups) but i have to cut down on my excessive mobile gaming activity.

    Please visit your doctor soon on getting steroid shots. I was recommended to go for surgery partly because i delayed treatment for more than half a year!

    ReplyDelete