Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lost – FBOFW (For Better or For Worse)

I am a bit lost today.
My favorite comic strip has come to an end.

I have been faithfully following this comic strip since polytechnic days, initially reading the copies available in National Library, Ngee Ann Polytechnic and subsequently the daily updates at http://www.fbofw.com/. Without fail, I would check the daily scoop everyday (with the exception of overseas trips), savoring the satires/ironies of life and those things we take for granted.

One simple reason why I prefer this comic compared to others; the characters follow the cycle of life. The characters grow old, some passed away, some succeed through pure perseverance and luck, and one is even gay!

It is almost a true life story (almost, some of which are fictitious) of the author (Lynn Johnston), unfolding slowly every day, providing with useful, entertaining insight of life and thought provoking lessons that you and I have experienced before, one way or another.

There was a scare (at least for me) a few months ago when I realized that the comic seemed to re-use past strips for its daily scoops. I was commenting to a colleague that the author might be ill or has run out of ideas. Worse still, she might have passed away since she is 50+ and we all know how ‘accidents’ can happen! Luckily new content surfaced and my heart was put to ease.

That is, until the comic strip for 30 August 2008 appears at http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/003335.php. I thought I was mistaken and it could be a joke (like the one kennysia had fabricated before); until I read today's scoop which i have attached below.

ITS CONFRIMED!

For Better or For Worse has ended its run. My daily addiction with this comic is forced to cease and I am bound to suffer from withdrawal symptom, constantly thinking of the characters; granny Marian passing, Farley’s heroic rescue, Elly’s bookstore, Deanna’s accident and many, many more.....

And yes, I am SAD.

Although I believe the reason may seem obsessive to many or even ridiculous to some, there will always be a minority (maybe majority) who will understand my feeling now.

No comments:

Post a Comment